Monday, September 17, 2012

Last Minute Things

Since I didn't have the time to blog at the end of last last week, this will be a quick catch up post without any pictures before my post about my French Riviera/Ibiza trip!

At the end of last last week, I finally moved into my studio! It is tiny but will suffice. It's completely brand new so that is a bonus. There are a few things I would definitely change if I could though... Number one being the shower. It is an Italian-style shower, so the shower is in the middle of my bathroom, basically between my sink and toilet, with no basin. The water just splashes directly onto my bathroom floor, with nothing but a retractable shower curtain blocking the spray of the water. Needless to say, my bathroom gets pretty much flooded every time I take a shower. My dad was smart and decided to buy me a small mop which I have to use to mop up any remaining water. I've started to get the hang of it though, but it is still a pain in the behind. Next, my walls are made of some sort of prickly stucco coating. Being the clumsy person I am, I always manage to hurt/scratch myself on it. Not cool! Lastly, my kitchen is right next to my bed so every time I cook, my whole room smells of whatever I just made. It's not like I can open my windows either, because if I do, all the bugs from outside will fly in as there is no screen to separate the window and outside. Oh, and I forgot to add. My building is set up so that you must walk outside to access the other buildings and each building is separated by various doors. Well I live right next to a door that leads to outside so every time I come home/open the door, I have to make sure none of the 10 billion bugs that are hanging around in the hallway enter my room. It is such a hassle! I really should go buy some bug repellent and spray it all around my door. 

Last last week we also went to buy any last minute items for our rooms such as food (I have a whole shelf of instant noodles. Can you say Asian?), dish detergent, and duvet covers. Trying to figure out what a duvet cover was in French had to be the biggest feat of that day for me. I ended up asking a nearby security guard for help, but he spoke absolutely no English, so I had to try to use my broken French and hand motions to show him what I was looking for. In the end I did manage to buy the right thing so I guess it worked out.

On my last day in Paris with my dad, we went to pick up some last minute souvenirs for my sister/family and we went to Champs Elysées as well as the area near the Louvre with a whole street of souvenir shops. After we headed back to the Latin Quarter (our fave place!) for some dinner and picked up some chocolates from Maison Georges Larnicol which were deeelicious. 

The next day, I dropped my dad off at the airport and that's when it really hit me that I won't be seeing my family for 4 months (unless my mom decides to come visit!), and that I'm actually in Paris on my own (along with a few of my friends who are also here of course). It has been amazing thus far!

No comments:

Post a Comment