Thursday, September 27, 2012

Le Vieux Port & Bouillabaisse

Day 4: Marseille

In the morning, we packed up all our stuff, grabbed some croissants/baguettes and our 1.5L bottles of water and left for the train station to our next stop: Marseille.

We arrived at the train station only to find that our train had been delayed so we had to wait over an hour for the next train. It took us 2 hours to train all the way to Marseille, and when we arrived, we found our hotel, settled down for a bit by watching Friends With Benefits (in French, bien sรปr), and then walked over to the Vieux Port to grab some dinner. The weather wasn't too amazing in Marseille, it was cold, gloomy and rained for a short while earlier in the day. One of our main goals in Marseille was to try the infamous "bouillabaisse", which is a soup with many different types of fish, and usually goes for around 30-45. I learned about the soup in my 2nd year French class back at school, so I was excited to actually give it a try despite my dislike for fish/seafood. Much to my surprise, it wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be. I really liked the soup base, and it was delicious when soaked in baguette. However, I didn't really touch the fish... I had a few mussels but that was about as far as I was willing to go. We didn't end up finishing the dish, and I'm pretty sure the waiter probably thought we were crazy for ordering it if we didn't even plan on eating the fish, and especially since we also ordered pasta to go with the soup.

A cathedral near our hotel

Bouillabaisse, gnocchi, & carbonara

Bouillabaisse

After dinner, we just went back to the hotel and it was very dark and cold, much different than Nice and Monaco were. We didn't really do much for the rest of the night except watch some more French TV.

No comments:

Post a Comment