Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Officially in love with Paris!

Our day began with the Eiffel Tower. We waited an hour in line to get tickets to get to the top, but it was all worth it (Tip: Buy your tickets online before heading over! It is much faster). Although it was quite gloomy today, the view over Paris was still breathtaking.

I'm so tiny!

View from the top

We then headed over to the Seine River to find a boat cruise to board, when suddenly a woman comes up to me and offers me her two passes for the rest of the day as she and her husband had to leave to head back home to Germany. Such a nice gesture! It was a BatoBus pass, which allowed us to hop on and hop off the boat at major attractions. Thus we got to ride the boat for free, and we got off at Notre Dame. Inside the cathedral, it is very dark but definitely sets a mood. It amazes me how people could build and design such a gorgeous building even back in the day.


Notre Dame

Inside the cathedral


We then stopped for a quick snack at a cute café called Le Quasimodo Notre Dame for some crêpes and espresso, and then went off to explore the Latin Quarter. This is what made me really fall in love with Paris.... from the cute cafés at every corner and the cobblestone paths, I finally realized that I am actually going to be spending the next 4 months in the City of Lights. We passed by this one restaurant where a waiter started talking to me and told me how the man sitting at the table in front of us was a "Canadian artist" and I should meet him. Ironically enough, I don't even think he knew that I myself was from Canada.

Crêpe au chocolat, Crêpe au coco, & cafe espresso

French Vivian strikes again

Latin Quarter

After a little exploring, we found ourselves heading to the Jardin du Luxembourg. I would say it is like the Parisian version of Central Park. There were joggers everywhere and groups of people sprawled out on the grass or just taking a stroll. Definitely a relaxing place to sit down and read a book.


Being silly and imitating the statue

For dinner, we headed back to the Latin Quarter and ate at a restaurant called Ostellerie de L'Oie Qui Fume. They had 3 course meal options from 12€,  16€, and 22€. I ordered a glass of Chardonnay, chose escargot to start (quickly becoming my favourite appetizer!), a cheese fondue with an assortment of meats and potatoes, and a vanilla cream puff for dessert. It was a delicious meal and I definitely recommend this place! We also met a nice middle-aged couple from Vermont and bonded over our mutual dislike for the couple smoking next to us, since the outside tables at this restaurant are literally 2 inches from each other. We had a great conversation about France after seeing their TD Visa card and figuring out they were also from North America.

Fondue

Latin Quarter at night

When we got home, I had a slice of Viennetta which we had picked up from the grocery store earlier today. I can't believe I actually found this! They no longer make this in North America so of course I was ecstatic when I saw it in the Franprix earlier this week. Eating this takes me back to my childhood days when my mom would pick up a box and use it as a birthday cake whenever it was someone in my family's birthday.


No comments:

Post a Comment